Luxury Holiday Homes and Our Six Star Retreat

Luxury Holiday Homes and Our Six Star Retreat

official newsletter for luxury home owners. Edited by Sue Peach

Science with Brendan Thirlmere

The weather here in Bangor has returned to its more familiar state with the recent bout of moderation no more than a distant memory. The rain has returned, and with it, the leak that drips through the deck above the fore-cabin of my boat and making a sodden mess of the fabric on my new foam seat cover.

Drip-drip-drip it went, all day yesterday. Every ten seconds, a drip landing on the foam.


So I decided to make a repair using some sealant and an old baked bean tin (a little trick I picked up in Bangalore)
The rain came again this morning and so did the drip. Not so frequent this time and I decided to time the leak using the stop-watch function on my mobile phone. One minute thirty three seconds! An improvement!

The rain continued to fall and it seemed to be getting heavier. I timed another drip and noticed the heavier rain had reduced the time of this drip to one minute thirty one seconds.

I kept on with the stop-watch test and came up with the following figures:


Drip 1 one minute twenty nine seconds.

Drip 2 one minute twenty six seconds

Drip 3 one minute twenty one seconds

Drip 4 one minute nineteen seconds

Drip 5 one minute seventeen seconds

Drip 6 one minute fifteen seconds

Drip 7 one minute thirteen seconds

Drip 8 one minute thirteen seconds

Drip 9 one minute thirteen seconds

Drip 10 one minute thirteen seconds


The leak had “saturated” at one minute thirteen seconds with the rainfall seemingly constant. I measured the area of the deck I thought to be the rainfall capture zone and made an estimation of the gradient of the deck above the fore-cabin. I then telephoned the Holyhead meteorology office and was informed the ash content delivered by the Icelandic volcano (Esspro!!lig*%thingy) was imparting a four micron particular component to a standard sixty second, one millilitre drip. So I was in luck! My drip had stabilised at one minute thirteen seconds and it was easy to extrapolate the Holyhead data to my own findings. I realised the rate of change was key to my study and set about identifying all the variables that were involved. The data was entered into an Excel file and a curve subsequently generated. I then set about developing a model for the dynamic progression and produced the following formula:



òP-(K/wt) + Ö4y



Where P = estimated rainfall density

K = Deck absorption

T = Drip time



The model worked beautifully and I was able to forecast the rainwater collection at the seat fabric target point to 98% accuracy.

I then sent the findings to the Bangor Hydro-Marine Technology Institute and have since received their detailed report, which follows:

Bangor Hydro-Marine Technology report.


You’ve got a leak, mate!



David is at a bit of a loose end just at the mo.

4 comments:

LesFous said...

condensation....?

sea level....?

standard pressure...?

has anyone checked the hydroscophy levels?

phone clock calibrated? - oh yeah it makes the classic "cock-a-doodle-doo" ring tone - I'VE HAD ENOUGH! Where are these kidz being trained? THEY KNOW NOTHING!

Mrs Leatherbarrow said...

Yes, one can only despair. I am, however, fortified by the example my scientific forebears: Faraday, Herschel and the great Robert Newton - when he found out about gravity. The greatest mathematician of them all, Horace Bachelor! Dyson and his vacuum cleaner.

Magna Carta! Did she have to die in vain?

Mrs Leatherbarrow said...

Cock-a-doodle-doo ring tones! We speak with the same tongue, LesFous.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I can't view your site properly within Opera, I actually hope you look into fixing this.

Custom Search